Saturday, February 11, 2012

Long Saturday...Homemade Dinner

Add caption
Today was just one of those days.  Kenna had a Doctor's Appointment in Palm Desert, so she and I had to be at the bus stop by 7:45am.  For an early Saturday morning the first thing I noticed was that there were a lot of cars and bicyclists on the road...and that was when I remembered that today was Tour DE Palm Springs...a very popular Bike race.  But here, they don't actually close down roads...they just place warning signs throughout the desert.  It was pretty cool to see, and Kenna loved watching them ride past her. 
On the Way to the Doctors

So Kenna and I hopped on the bus and were off to catch the next bus which would end up taking us to Kaiser.  After spending over an hour and a half on the bus Kenna and I arrived to find that it was very windy and that the bicyclists were also riding throughout Palm Desert.  It was, I have to admit, pretty awesome to see so many people out on their bikes!

Since Kenna and I had over an hour until her appointment was, I took us to Jack in the box for some yummy Breakfast Jacks!  Kenna loved it, and ate almost half of mine!  When it was time for Kenna's appointment she was very well behaved and allowed the Nurse and the Doctor to check her out.  She needed four shots and it was very hard to hold her down.  She did not like having the shots at all.  But she got a new book out of it, and while we waited for the bus to come, she read the new book to her baby doll and two Ty Beanie Bears. 

Kenna's New Half-undressed Doll
We took the bus to Target and I let her pick out some new dolls, because it had been a long day for her, and she was being very well behaved.  Once we were done with that we headed back home.

When I got home, had Nick finish the dishes I needed to make dinner and then I got started!  The recipe I'm going to share tonight, is the first recipe my sister Nicole, ever created for me!  If you guys didn't know, Nicole is a master when it comes to cooking!  She's always my go-to person when I'm stuck on a dish or when I have a question!

A couple years ago, I had made a complaint about how I was tired of Boxed Mac n' Cheese, so Nicole sent me a basic recipe for Homemade Mac n' Cheese.  This recipe is so fool proof that when I wasn't able to cook, I was able to make it.


Nicole's Simple Mac n' Cheese


1 Tbsp butter - unsalted
1 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 box of noodles (any kind that you like)
Desired amount of any kind of cheese

Cook noodles.
Melt butter in medium pan, then add flour.  Mix flour and butter until it's the texture of sand and smells like popcorn.  Add the milk and stir until thickened.  Then add the amount of cheese, for your own desired cheesiness.  Once sauce is done, add cooked noodles. season to taste, and serve!


Finished Mac n' Cheese
So that's simple right?  It really is very simple to make, but here are some other ways that you can make it.  To make your Mac n' Cheese more creamier you could do half cream and half milk, or Nicole suggested Cream Cheese.  I also added bacon to our dish, and baked some cheese and Italian bread crumbs on top.

It turned out really well and my girls loved it!  Next time, I plan to use turkey bacon, because the bacon we used was a little too crispy, but I still liked it!

Tomorrow we're going to have a nice family day, maybe go out for lunch!  I'm really looking forward to spending the day with Nick and the girls!


Lizzie eating Dinner
Kenna enjoying Dinner!


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you still enjoy it and are playing around with the recipe! You might want to clarify that the cheese should be shredded and the butter and flour should be cooked till it reaches it's popcorn-ie flavor. LOL BTW, you need to write more often, I like reading! :-D

    ReplyDelete